From December 15 to February 1, Pacific Whale Foundation (PWF) invites artists of all levels to enter our first annual World Whale Film Festival Poster Contest. Enter today to show your love of marine animals and raise awareness about the five threats they are facing (climate change, vessel collisions, bycatch or fisheries interactions, marine plastic pollution, and unsustainable tourism). Not only will the winner have their artwork featured on the official 8th Annual World Whale Film Festival (WWFF) poster, but the winning design will also be used for all WWFF promotional materials, including the event t-shirt!
For this fundraising event, we suggest a $20 entry fee per submission; multiple entries are accepted. Entries will be judged by an internal PWF committee. Our favorite submissions will appear on PWF’s social media, and the winning design will be announced to the public on February 8, 2024.
The design receiving the most votes will be featured on our 8th Annual WWFF poster and all other promotional materials. The winner will also receive a free film festival t-shirt displaying their design, as well as a free PWF Guide level membership for one year.
Showcase your talent while supporting PWF’s mission to protect the ocean through science and advocacy, and to inspire environmental stewardship!
6th and 7th Annual World Whale Film Festival posters pictured above
SUBMISSION, GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
OPEN: Submissions will be considered regardless of the entrant’s profession, location or expertise. PWF and PacWhale Eco-Adventures employees are encouraged to submit artwork created on personal time. If an employee chooses to participate, they will be barred from participating in the final selection of the winner.
THEME: World Whale Film Festival. Your artwork should incorporate marine wildlife and/or one or more of the five threats they are facing (climate change, vessel collisions, bycatch or fisheries interactions, marine plastic pollution, and unsustainable tourism).
DONATION: A $20 donation benefiting PWF is suggested upon submission. There is no limit to the number of entries per person.
CONTEST PERIOD: December 15, 2023 though February 1, 2024. Entries received after midnight February 1 will not be considered. The winner will be announced on February 8, 2024.
SELECTION: The winner of the contest will be determined by an internal PWF committee. Finalists will be contacted on or after February 8 with additional submission instructions as necessary.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Click on the button below to fill out the entry form and you will receive an email with further instructions.
PRIZE: The winner will have their artwork featured on the poster for the 8th Annual World Whale Film Festival. The poster will be used as the T-shirt design and on other promotional materials for the film festival. The winner will receive a free film festival t-shirt showcasing their design and a free Guide membership for a year.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Click the button below to enter.
- No submissions accepted after February 1, 2023.
- Selected finalist artwork must be submitted as a PDF (vector file) or as a high resolution JPEG file (between 5MB and 10MB in size, or 2592x3840 px at 300dpi). If you are able, please provide a Google Photo, OneDrive or Dropbox link to your submission to ensure the photo size is maintained through the email submission process.
- Use a MAXIMUM of 8 colors.
- Hand painted or drawn artwork must be submitted in high quality digital versions (PDF or high resolution JPEG file). Scanning your submission would be preferred if you are submitting a hand drawn artwork.
- Each submitted file must be properly titled with the Artist's Last Name first followed by the Art Title. For example: Smith_Breaching Whale.
- Submissions should not include border(s), logo(s), copyright marks, identifying marks, or any other visible references and/or marks on the image.
- Contestants MUST NOT harass wildlife or negatively impact the environment in the procurement of any photo(s) submitted for consideration. PWF reserves the right to assess and disqualify questionable entries at our discretion.
- Entries will be judged on creativity, quality, originality, and context respective to ocean conservation and the 8th Annual World Whale Film Festival.
- There is no limit to the number of entries per person.
- By providing submitted file(s) you grant unlimited use/production rights to PWF for promotional purposes for the 8th Annual World Whale Film Festival and future film festivals.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
Submitted artwork(s) must be original, created by the contestant, and must not contain any materials owned or controlled by a third party for which the submitting artist has not obtained a license. Submitted photo(s) must not infringe on the copyright, trademark, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
PWF respects artists’ copyrights which will remain vested with the creator of the artwork and credit will be honored. Upon submission, the entrant grants PWF worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to publish the entrant’s artwork as part of all World Whale Film Festival promotions and on all PWF social media platforms for the sole purpose of event promotion.
The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. PWF reserves the right to cancel the contest or modify contest rules at its discretion. In the event of a dispute regarding the winning entry, PWF may choose to award or not award any prizes associated with the contest. PWF holds the right to disqualify any entrant whose entry or conduct in any way appears to (a) inhibit the enjoyment of others; (b) tamper with the competition; (c) violate these rules or other applicable law or regulations; (d) infringe on the rights of third parties; or (e) act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Decisions made by PWF are final and binding.