WHALE OF A PHOTO CONTEST
Nature photographers of the world, your marine wildlife photo could appear on the cover of Pacific Whale Foundation’s 2023 Marine Life Calendar! From July 27 to August 10, we invite shutterbugs of all levels to enter our third annual Whale of a Photo Contest, a fundraiser for Pacific Whale Foundation. Each submission must be accompanied by a $10 donation; multiple entries accepted.
The top 12 photos selected by our panel of judges will be published in the calendar and advance to the online public voting round, August 22 - September 6. Votes are $1 each with no limit on the number of votes allowed per entry. All funds raised directly benefit Pacific Whale Foundation Research, Education and Conservation programs.
The image receiving the most votes will be featured on the cover of our 2023 Marine Life Calendar including a brief bio highlighting the winning photographer. It’s a great way to showcase your talent while supporting PWF’s mission to protect the ocean through science and advocacy, and to inspire environmental stewardship.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES, RULES AND REGULATIONS
OPEN: All submissions will be considered regardless of the entrant’s profession, location or expertise.
THEME: Marine wildlife
DONATION: Each submission must be accompanied by a $10 donation benefiting Pacific Whale Foundation. There is no limit to the number of entries per person.
CONTEST PERIOD: July 27 through September 6, 2022. Submissions accepted July 27 - August 10, 2022; entries received after midnight August 10 will not be considered. Online voting for top 12 entries takes place August 22 - September 6, with the winner announced on September 9.
SELECTION: PWF’s panel of judges will select the top 12 images for entry into the online photo contest. Finalists will be contacted on or after August 10 with additional submission instructions as necessary. The winning photo will be determined by the number of votes received.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Click on the button below to fill out the entry form and you will receive an email with further instructions.
PRIZE: The winner will have his or her image featured on the cover of Pacific Whale Foundation’s 2023 Marine Life Calendar accompanied by a brief bio, receive a free calendar, and have the intrinsic satisfaction of contributing to PWF’s fundraising efforts.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Enter at pacificwhale.org/calendar
- No submissions accepted after August 10, 2022.
- Selected finalist photos must be submitted as high resolution files (300dpi, 3300x2550, or a minimum of 8Mb in size) in JPEG format. If you are able, please provide a Google Photo, OneDrive or Dropbox link to your submission to ensure the photo size is maintained through the email submission process.
- Each submitted file must be properly titled with the Photographer's Last Name first followed by the Image Title. For example: Smith_Breaching Whale.
- Each submission must include a descriptive title and caption (100 words maximum) that includes the following: Name, city & state of photographer; location of submitted photo; species photographed; personal quote describing shoot (i.e., setting, purpose of shoot/inspiration behind shoot, connection to marine environments/wildlife, statement of support for PWF, etc.).
- Submissions should not include border(s), logo(s), copyright marks, identifying marks, or any other visible references and/or marks on the image.
- Basic editing, including color enhancement, the use of filters and cropping is acceptable, provided it does not alter the authenticity of the submitted photo(s).
- Advanced editing that distorts or grossly manipulates subject matter, including the adding and removing of significant elements within the frame, is prohibited.
- Contestants MUST NOT harass wildlife or negatively impact the environment in the procurement of photo(s) submitted for consideration. PWF reserves the right to assess and disqualify questionable entries at our discretion.
- Photo entries will be judged on creativity, quality, originality and context respective to ocean conservation.
- There is no limit to the number of photo entries per person, but only one photo per photographer will be eligible for inclusion in the PWF's 2023 Marine Life Calendar.
- By providing submitted file(s) you grant unlimited use/production rights to PWF for promotional purposed of its upcoming 2023 and future Marine Life Calendar(s).
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
Submitted photo(s) must be original, created and/or taken by the contestant, and must not contain any materials owned or controlled by a third party for which the submitting photographer has not obtained a license. Submitted photo(s) must not infringe on the copyright, trademark, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
PWF respects photographers’ copyrights which will remain vested with the creator of the image and credit will be honored. Upon submission, the entrant grants PWF worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to publish the entrant’s photo(s) in PWF’s 2023 Marine Life Calendar and on all PWF social media platforms for the sole purpose of campaign promotion.
The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. PWF reserves the right to cancel the contest or modify contest rules at its discretion. In the event of a dispute regarding the winning entry, PWF may choose to award or not award any prizes associated with the contest. PWF holds the right to disqualify any entrant whose entry or conduct in any way appears to (a) inhibit the enjoyment of others; (b) tamper with the competition; (c) violate these rules or other applicable law or regulations; (d) infringe on the rights of third parties; or (e) act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Decisions made by PWF are final and binding.